SWAP is one of several coalitions in the state of Arkansas organized to address issues of homelessness.
The purposes of SWAP:
- To develop and implement a coordinated community-based strategy for preventing homelessness.
- To rapidly rehouse those who become homeless.
- Reduce homelessness through permanent supportive housing.
- To coordinate SWAP's resources to identify and address the needs of the region's homeless and at-risk populations.
- To create and maintain systemic approaches to ending homelessness through collaboration with community and government organizations.
- To create and use data and performance measurements to evaluate and improve the response to homelessness.
- To apply for funding from HUD under The Mckinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.
The Southwest area covers these counties:
- Hot Spring
SWAP reports to a statewide group known as the "Balance of State," a function of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD. HUD controls Federal funding for shelters and other services for homeless people. HUD money designated for Arkansas comes through the Balance of State.
One of the key responsibilities of SWAP is to conduct the HUD annual "Point in Time" Homeless Count on a designated day in January. The results of the homeless count determine how much Federal money is available to a region.
SWAP meets on the third Thursday of every month at 2:00 p.m. in the conference room of United Way of the Ouachitas, 233 Hobson Avenue in Hot Springs.
SWAP has satellite operations in Clark, Hot Spring and Montgomery Counties.
Any interested organization or party is invited to join the SWAP group.
Any local organization interested in applying for HUD grant funding must be a member of SWAP.
In addition to the Point in TIme Count, SWAP serves as a network to identify and share information about issues facing people who are homeless and information about funding availablity.
SWAP has two representatives on the Balance of State.
Current Member Organizations of SWAP:
- Arkansas Department of Workforce Services
- Arkansas Hospice
- Birch Tree Communities
- City of Hot Springs
- Community Counseling Services, Inc
- Cooperative Christian Ministries & Clinic
- Diamond Lakes Federal Credit Union
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hot Springs Family YMCA
- Hot Springs School District
- Housing Authority of the City of Hot Springs
- Levi Hospital
- Ouachita Children's Center
- The Salvation Army
- Tuggle Clinic
- United Way of the Ouachitas
Contact: SWAP Chair, Stephen Ezelle - firstname.lastname@example.org, SWAP Vice-Chair - Tammy Jones - email@example.com, SWAP Secretary, Eric Honeycutt - firstname.lastname@example.org & SWAP Treasurer, Sarah Fowler - email@example.com